21™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hating America doesn’t make you cool/funny.

+7
Wayland Hubbard
Ashton Hennessy
Mose Wahl
Lee Moraty
Jude Winston
Riley Moon
Tim Gray
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hating America doesn’t make you cool/funny. Empty Hating America doesn’t make you cool/funny.

Post by Wayland Hubbard Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:12 pm

I feel like this should be obvious, but living in a hyper liberal city in California, it gets pretty bad. A person once screamed at me because I was wearing a shirt with the flag on the side, because I guess you are a Nazi if you support the country you live in.
Also it seems my peers think it is hilarious whenever they insult our country and it’s history, and it is seriously starting to get on my nerves.
Don’t get me wrong, America has made some mistakes, but it also is the bastion for freedom, and legitimately the greatest country on earth.
That’s my rant.
Wayland Hubbard
Wayland Hubbard
Karma Probation
Karma Probation

Posts Posts : 24
Karma Karma : -11
Cash Cash : 8204

Back to top Go down

Hating America doesn’t make you cool/funny. Empty Re: Hating America doesn’t make you cool/funny.

Post by Tim Gray Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 pm

Greatest country in what aspect?
Tim Gray
Tim Gray
Sinclair Masters of Ethical Theory

Posts Posts : 5
Karma Karma : 15
Cash Cash : 101321

Back to top Go down

Hating America doesn’t make you cool/funny. Empty Re: Hating America doesn’t make you cool/funny.

Post by Riley Moon Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 pm

I feel as though a lot of countries outperform the USA socially and politically.
Riley Moon
Riley Moon
Freedom Society of Fellows
Freedom Society of Fellows

Karma Karma : 42
Cash Cash : 3417

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u42rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Hating America doesn’t make you cool/funny. Empty I'll bite.

Post by Vincent Perez Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:30 pm

Tim Gray wrote:Greatest country in what aspect?
To me, the more freedoms given to the person, the greater the country. (As long as those freedoms don’t directly impede on other’s.)

America has the greatest level of freedom of speech, which is major when compared to other countries.

Also, the way that the government is set up allows for very good times, and if a mistake on the side of the majority occurs (via election), there is only so much damage one individual can do.

I am bad at formulating thoughts, but those are the two major ones for me
Vincent Perez
Vincent Perez
The Babysitter
The Babysitter

Posts Posts : 7
Karma Karma : 25
Cash Cash : 6412

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u18rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Winston Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 pm

that’s your opinion, but I don’t think it’s “legitimately the greatest country on earth” although I think everyone may think that their country, to some degree, is the best.

America barely has rights to speaking up if you consider how easily anyone leaning right gets shut down. While it may be true they have more freedom of speech than majority countries, there are many countries where your freedom of speech won’t get you branded as a hater or ruin your career.

The government is a joke, not sure what you’re getting at there. It’s definitely better than many countries but it causes too many political strifes, problems, and unfairness.

The justice system is downright fucked

Mental health problems are off the charts. I’m not gonna lie every American I know (I go to uni there) has some kind of deep set problem. I have been there for many years and I’m appalled to see how almost everyone is somehow very unhappy or unprivileged with life. Actually going to the US has made me recognize my privilege in having a secure financial situation, secure family life, and experience being in other countries in the world.

Americans barely know anything about the world, not to begin with saying food there (at least everywhere in the east coast) is rubbish quality unless you pay a lot at an expensive restaurant.

Health care is a joke. Don’t even get me started.

Taxes are a joke

Drinking water situation is like a third world country

What I do like about the US is that generally, people are nice and welcoming. Everyone cares about each other and the job opportunities (at this time) are still very good (although EU and Asia are catching up)

Most of my international friends and people I know who came to study only stay in the US for the job opps, we honestly do not like much else about the US. The many of us from first world countries outside the US see it as very under developed honestly.

The best cities in the world to live in aren’t even in the states anymore to a large degree. You see places such as Zurich, Singapore, London, Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, Hong Kong instead.

I do not agree that you should openly bash the country you grew up in either. I don’t like it when Americans or foreigners go to the states and talk about how it’s shit while benefitting from the nation. It’s cheap and stupid, I agree on you with this. Even I would never say this stuff to an American in person while I’m there, as I am grateful to many things in my time there.

In conclusion, I do think it’s ignorant to say it’s the best country on earth without having done much research, and especially ignoring its HUGE faults. It is definitely not the best country, but one of the best. The reason why people get mad at you Americans saying this is because y’all are so cut off to the outside world and real problems, living in your own bubble. I don’t know how to describe it but it’s annoying. What we see from the outside is a lot of shit, and irritating when you guys act so blatantly oblivious and say oh yeah but it’s still the best. I think a lot of America’s fucked up foreign policy influences this too.

Anyway, I have tried to best describe what I feel and others may feel when you make such a statement. Do remember that your personal opinion is your own, but in the current political climate and tensions in the US you only sound kind of silly to say such a thing to outsiders.
Jude Winston
Jude Winston
Bradford School of Law
Bradford School of Law

Karma Karma : 5
Cash Cash : 2690
Joined Joined : 2012

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u138rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Moraty Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 pm

@Jude Winston Lol. I can tell you've never been to America. The water is fine here. Health Care is fine, I get it from my job. What do you mean by taxes are a joke? Beautiful generalization of 330 million people btw. You're using a lot of overstatements without very much evidence, honestly. Such as, "the drinking water is like a third world country." I can't even fathom how you could come up with this bullshit, relativley drinking water is near 7ph!
Lee Moraty
Lee Moraty
Chi Society
Chi Society

Posts Posts : 2
Karma Karma : 0
Cash Cash : 710
Joined Joined : 2011

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u9rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mose Wahl Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Everything you mentioned, a Nordic country does them better.
Not hating on U.S. (I reside here, although not a born citizen) I personally think it is a great country but the american people are a bit too patriotic, and sometimes they sound a bit out of line. Also you have a lot of bad things you don't find in other countries, like guns for example.
Mose Wahl
Mose Wahl
Bradford University
Bradford University

Posts Posts : 4
Karma Karma : 6
Cash Cash : 568426

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayland Hubbard Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Mose Wahl wrote:Everything you mentioned, a Nordic country does them better.
Not hating on U.S. (I reside here, although not a born citizen) I personally think it is a great country but the american people are a bit too patriotic, and sometimes they sound a bit out of line. Also you have a lot of bad things you don't find in other countries, like guns for example.
Guns aren't bad, dumbass.
Wayland Hubbard
Wayland Hubbard
Karma Probation
Karma Probation

Back to top Go down

Post by Mose Wahl Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:43 pm

Wayland Hubbard wrote:
That's why 20 students die every month.
Mose Wahl
Mose Wahl
Bradford University
Bradford University

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayland Hubbard Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:44 pm

Mose Wahl wrote:
Wayland Hubbard wrote:
That's why 20 students die every month.
What 20 died this month? Or last month?
Wayland Hubbard
Wayland Hubbard
Karma Probation
Karma Probation

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashton Hennessy Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:47 pm

Vincent Perez wrote:
To me, the more freedoms given to the person, the greater the country. (As long as those freedoms don’t directly impede on other’s.)

America has the greatest level of freedom of speech, which is major when compared to other countries.

Also, the way that the government is set up allows for very good times, and if a mistake on the side of the majority occurs (via election), there is only so much damage one individual can do.

Okay because I’m pretty sure our healthcare system, educational system, tuition debt, incarceration rate, and homeless veterans might disagree with you...
Ashton Hennessy
Ashton Hennessy
Hines Law School
Hines Law School

Posts Posts : 2
Karma Karma : 3
Cash Cash : 713

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayland Hubbard Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:48 pm

Ashton Hennessy wrote:
Vincent Perez wrote:

Okay because I’m pretty sure our healthcare system, educational system, tuition debt, incarceration rate, and homeless veterans might disagree with you...
No.
The number of programs that the military has to help veterans is mind-boggling. The pay is also very good and you can basically claim full disability for stuff that the government can't prove that you don't have (erectile dysfunction, insomnia, tinnitus). I realize that this is an unpopular opinion, but I honestly believe it.
Also we have the best education system in the world. There is a reason every country in the world has significant brain drain to the US. It's because all of theor smartest students go to OUR universities.
Wayland Hubbard
Wayland Hubbard
Karma Probation
Karma Probation

Back to top Go down

Post by Mose Wahl Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:01 am

Wayland Hubbard wrote: theor smartest students go to OUR universities.
Yeah, theor students go to our universities. Stellar education.
Mose Wahl
Mose Wahl
Bradford University
Bradford University

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Gray Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 am

Vincent Perez wrote:

"To me, the more freedoms given to the person, the greater the country. (As long as those freedoms don’t directly impede on other’s.)"
       Funny, cause America isnt even in the top 10 countries when it comes to freedom.
"America has the greatest level of freedom of speech, which is major when compared to other countries."
       Uhh, no it doesn't.
"Also, the way that the government is set up allows for very good times, and if a mistake on the side of the majority occurs (via election), there is only so much damage one individual can do."
Looks at George W. Bush

*laughs*

Looks at Trump

*laughs harder*

As an American you make me laugh.
Tim Gray
Tim Gray

Karma Karma : 15
Cash Cash : 101321

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayland Hubbard Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 am

Mose Wahl wrote:
Wayland Hubbard wrote: theor smartest students go to OUR universities.
Yeah, theor students go to our universities. Stellar education.
You've never made a fucking typo before?
Wayland Hubbard
Wayland Hubbard
Karma Probation
Karma Probation

Back to top Go down

Post by William Gord Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 am

Hating the USA doesn't make you cool/funny. Agree, it makes you overly hysterical about patriotism.
But loving the USA and putting it over other countries isn't good either. There is always a middleground for patriotism, but its not always easy to find that center-standing. Some people will dub you a Nazi, and others will identify you as a leftist depending on their view, but actually you are just a centrist.
William Gord
William Gord
Bradford PhD
Bradford PhD

Posts Posts : 6
Karma Karma : 8
Cash Cash : 178358

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Perez Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:19 am

Oh jeez, the Bradfordites really came out for this one.
Vincent Perez
Vincent Perez
The Babysitter
The Babysitter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mose Wahl Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 am

Vincent Perez wrote:Oh jeez, the Bradfordites really came out for this one.
Just from the small number of replies this thread has gotten already, there's representation from Bradford, Sinclair, and Hines students collectively.
Mose Wahl
Mose Wahl
Bradford University
Bradford University

Back to top Go down

Post by Densus Mont Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 am

How can something so subjective be "legitimate"?
Densus Mont
Densus Mont
The Manishini
The Manishini

Posts Posts : 3
Cash Cash : 1071

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumiko Sewell Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 am

I agree with your initial point, but I think patriotism is literal aids. Patriotism is responsible for so much damage in the world. It also blinds people to the real state of their country. I see this back home in my country and here in the U.S. And the U.S is by no means the greatest country in the world. We are great, but my no means the best, that sort of patriotism is the reason the U.S has a hard time acknowledging its mistakes. Every country is flawed, but because the U.S has been the victor of countless wars and has been the fastest to modernize and has to an extent lead world trends it escapes a lot of criticism from its own citizens. Though blatant hate is just as idiotic as blind faith.
Sumiko Sewell
Sumiko Sewell
Bradford University
Bradford University

Posts Posts : 10
Karma Karma : 13
Cash Cash : 3915

https://twenty1.forumotion.com/u25rpgsheet?mode=generate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vincent Perez Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 am

Sumiko Sewell wrote:I agree with your initial point, but I think patriotism is literal aids. Patriotism is responsible for so much damage in the world. It also blinds people to the real state of their country. I see this back home in my country and here in the U.S. And the U.S is by no means the greatest country in the world. We are great, but my no means the best, that sort of patriotism is the reason the U.S has a hard time acknowledging its mistakes. Every country is flawed, but because the U.S has been the victor of countless wars and has been the fastest to modernize and has to an extent lead world trends it escapes a lot of criticism from its own citizens. Though blatant hate is just as idiotic as blind faith.
I agree, blind patriotism is extremely dangerous, but, being patriotic on its own is not evil, and is actually good for a country.
Vincent Perez
Vincent Perez
The Babysitter
The Babysitter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayland Hubbard Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:33 am

Vincent Perez wrote:
Sumiko Sewell wrote:I agree with your initial point, but I think patriotism is literal aids. Patriotism is responsible for so much damage in the world. It also blinds people to the real state of their country. I see this back home in my country and here in the U.S. And the U.S is by no means the greatest country in the world. We are great, but my no means the best, that sort of patriotism is the reason the U.S has a hard time acknowledging its mistakes. Every country is flawed, but because the U.S has been the victor of countless wars and has been the fastest to modernize and has to an extent lead world trends it escapes a lot of criticism from its own citizens. Though blatant hate is just as idiotic as blind faith.
I agree, blind patriotism is extremely dangerous, but, being patriotic on its own is not evil, and is actually good for a country.
Jesus. Patriotism is what keeps a country together to resist imperialism, which is what probably you mean by "imperialism". Imperialism is criticizing your own country, and most patriots you will find will criticize government the most, and media, so it is not accurate that they accept their country blindly.
Wayland Hubbard
Wayland Hubbard
Karma Probation
Karma Probation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumiko Sewell Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:34 am

Wayland Hubbard wrote:
Vincent Perez wrote:
Jesus. Patriotism is what keeps a country together to resist imperialism, which is what probably you mean by "imperialism". Imperialism is criticizing your own country, and most patriots you will find will criticize government the most, and media, so it is not accurate that they accept their country blindly.
No, historically speaking patriotism leads to ethnic conformity which leads to nationalism and then patriotism. And no, people tend not to criticize things they like or agree with and tend to turn a blind eye, it's a psychological phenomenon. Even without that, rationally speaking people are bias. If you love your country, you cut your country slack and overlooks its short comings, it's a basic human thought process.
Sumiko Sewell
Sumiko Sewell
Bradford University
Bradford University

Back to top Go down

Post by Wayland Hubbard Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:35 am

Sumiko Sewell wrote:
Wayland Hubbard wrote:
Vincent Perez wrote:
No, historically speaking patriotism leads to ethnic conformity which leads to nationalism and then patriotism. And no, people tend not to criticize things they like or agree with and tend to turn a blind eye, it's a psychological phenomenon. Even without that, rationally speaking people are bias. If you love your country, you cut your country slack and overlooks its short comings, it's a basic human thought process.
Fucking no, people criticize the things they care the most about. A patriot does not have to like his country even if he loves it. Proof is Obama, who was rejected by so many patriots, and was his government. Not it is Trump.
Also, the left often promotes nationalism as longer as it is not in Western countries, which is ironical. They also love to protect Islamic identity, which is even worse than nationalism.
I can't believe I have to defend my opinion from you Bradtards. I feel like I'm talking to the dumbest person on earth. You sure you attend Bradford?
Wayland Hubbard
Wayland Hubbard
Karma Probation
Karma Probation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumiko Sewell Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:39 am

@Wayland Hubbard, remove the emotions from your argument.
Look up confirmation bias, debunk all of those studies and come back to this convo. Psychology has proven the exact opposite of what you are suggesting.
"A patriot does not have to like his country even if he loves it."
Blatant contradiction.
"Also, the left often promotes nationalism as longer as it is not in Western countries, which is ironical. They also love to protect Islamic identity, which is even worse than nationalism."
This is an example of the red herring fallacy. We are not talking about the left or Islam and they have no bearing on the convo, so you're trying to deflect criticism by turning it on the left which is not even necessarily true. Blaming everything on the left is not only fallacious but out of context and irrelevant.
Side note: Furthermore, the Islamic identity, which I have a hunch is going to be your bigoted version of Islam, is not promoted by the left. In no way is it worse than nationalism. The Islamic identity you are referring to is the ignorant middle eastern culture due to a series of flaws in their cycles of development.
Sumiko Sewell
Sumiko Sewell
Bradford University
Bradford University

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next